Game on!

It’s started again. I’ve started out on the test drives.

Five years ago, I took a week off work to test drive a load of different cars in an attempt to decide what I would get next. This weekend, I took my first proper test-drives in five years. I can barely believe it’s been that long, but I guess it must be. Even when trying to negotiate a deal on a Clio Trophy, I don’t think I took a test drive. Stupid, or what?

Regardless, Saturday saw me searching (fruitlessly) for a particular garage in the Benton area that had a VX220. Clearly, map-reading’s not as much of a strength of mine as I thought. Never mind. I did, however, find and drive a couple of 350Z’s. :)

The first was an import with a stupid nosecone and an equally stupid price tag: 16k for an 03 import is just daft. The dealer was pretty close to home too, so I got to try it out on roads I know well. While it felt just as planted as the Mini, it failed to blow me away. Acceleration was only marginally better than I was used to and when revved to the top end, it sounded a little rough. Couple this with the car’s greater comfort and the thrill I was looking for just wasn’t there. I realise it’s a bit odd to list comfort as a negative. I think it just means I felt less involved in the whole… driving thing. To be honest, I’m still trying to make sense of it, myself.

The second zed was a UK model, 04 plate, in the metallic blue that I so lusted after in Evo’s fast fleet pages. This car offered a completely different experience. The engine, while a bit ’ticky’ at first, generally felt and sounded much smoother. The acceleration, too, felt better — more like what you’d expect from the car. Despite these positives, however, I still felt as though I would be able to hustle the Mini better, even after experience in the 350Z. As soon as I drove away from the dealership in the little red belter, that feeling was only reinforced.

This is strange. As much as it vindicates my lengthy Mini ownership, and as much as 350Z ownership would undoubtedly be a step up the ladder towards a 911 (spot the long term goal), I can’t help feeling that I need to take a bigger step; performance-wise at least. This suggests that an Elise or VX220 is probably the best way to go. At least those two would be small and light enough to feel chuckable too.

I’m currently in negotiations with a bloke in London about doing a part-ex for his VX220, but I don’t hold out much hope. As soon as he sees I’ve got no air-con, you can bet your ass he’ll back out. Failing that, I’m also trying to get the attention of a guy with a Clio Trophy who wants a Cooper S in part-ex. Yes, I know it’s another FWD car (and I said I wanted to avoid that), but the Trophy is such a legend that I’d be willing to overlook the drivetrain issue. Will keep you posted.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Try a Boxster S :)
Mal said…
If you can find me a quality one for less than £16k, I will do. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall