Gateshead, 16th Feb 2003

So then, my first spot of karting since July 2002. Long overdue.

Taking a couple of laps to get familiar with various circuit changes and, indeed, the whole experience of being back in a kart, I noticed I was failing to pull away from Lindsay. Belated Christmas present or no, my competitive instinct kicked in. There was no way I was going let that continue. ;)

With overalls flapping like a WW1 fighter pilot’s scarf, I set about February’s arrive-n-drive lap record in my usual ragged manner. In fact, I really need to remember to tuck the overalls into my socks next time I go to Gateshead. A couple of times, when coming into the first hairpin, the overalls caught on a bolt somewhere near the brake pedal. Cue a reduced ability to slow the kart down and a few very sideways moments as I threw it around the corner. I’d like to claim that this was the reason for my spin half way through the session, but... well... that was just me asking too much of the kart. :)

As the space-time continuum continued to be stretched, making the 10 minutes on track feel like half an hour, I began to realise just how little blood was making its way to my fingers. The rut across the start-finish line was also making its presence felt on my spine, with the usual egg-sized lump developing nicely (and painfully). A few more laps and, mercifully, it was over. Getting out of the kart, it became apparent I could barely move my fingers. Just to make it worse, they hadn’t even had the grace to go numb. Instead, they just hurt like hell, proceeded to get pins and needles, and then swelled up into Michelin-man hands. Ah, the sweet pleasures of karting. ;)

Sweeter than that was the print-out of lap times. Previous best for February was 29.12secs. January’s (winning) record had also been 29.12secs. Best time on my print-out? 28.72secs. Bring it on! Must remember to go back in March and check to see whether I was beaten. If not, it’ll be time for a free session. Yee-haw! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall