Things I’m not proud of

There have been a few times recently that I’ve avoided blogging about something because I feel guilty. Because I am guilty. A couple of months back, for instance, I was lucky to get away with a clean licence after one particular bout of... spirited driving. On an early Sunday morning blast with friends, I absolutely ragged the MINI round a roundabout near Penrith and straight past a police car. I was doing almost 70mph in 2nd, just changing up to 3rd. Were it not for the fact the convoy I was in had dropped back, I might not have slowed down as much as I did. You see, I hadn’t even noticed the car I passed was a police car. I was told later that the cops had followed for a short while before deciding I wasn’t worth it.

The thing is, a police presence shouldn’t be the deciding factor in how fast I go. The road’s speed limit and conditions on the day should be enough to dictate that. Not only that, but how aware can I be of other traffic, if I don’t even notice a police car? It’s rather worrying to think that I will focus so narrowly on the section of road I’m following as to ignore the details of what’s around me. Sure, I knew there was a car there, I noticed its approach to the roundabout and the fact it was slowing to a stop, but I didn’t notice that it was white with a red stripe down the side. What else am I missing?

That isn’t the only example I could have given. Just a few nights back, I let my enthusiasm get the better of me again. Once again, it was round a roundabout. Once again, there was a police car involved. Once again, they tailed me, before deciding they would leave me alone. This time, I’d not broken a speed limit, but I had still driven too quickly. At least, if squealing tyres mean you’re going too quickly, then I was certainly guilty. Arguably, I could’ve been pulled for reckless driving. As it was, the police car only saw me once I was off the roundabout and pulling onto a dual-carriageway from the slip road (the police were travelling on the dual-carriageway). I was probably about 10mph within the legal limit when they saw me, but still about 20-30mph faster than most cars at that point. They would’ve been well within their rights to pull me over. Once again, I’d been lucky.

So, when am I going to learn? What will it take for me to understand this stuff before I make the stupid mistakes? A stern warning from the boys in blue? Three points on my licence? Losing control and killing someone in another car? That possibility just makes me shudder (as it bloody well should do!). I can’t deny that I enjoy the thrill of fast road driving, but there must be a better, safer way to get my kicks. Croft wasn’t it, so perhaps it’s time I looked into tarmac rallies again.

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall