Unfit for purpose

A few years back, when I still went to the gym, I was having trouble staying motivated. Jenson Button was in the news and F1 on ITV had featurettes on how he was working to step up his fitness to the levels required for the sport. Using that as my inspiration, I pushed myself harder and managed to stay reasonably fit for a while. Certainly fit enough for the karting I was doing at the time.

These days, I’ve got different motorsport-related motivation, but this time I’m starting from a base level of absolute unfitness. Last night, I went out for a jog (yes, in public), possibly for the first time in my life. It’s a good job it was dark — my lungs gave up after less than a mile and I had to stop. Scary! When I got home after a further mile and a bit, my legs nearly gave way when I stopped. I’ve never been particularly fit, but it’s alarming what the last 2 or 3 years of inactivity have done to me. Let’s just hope things improve over the next couple of weeks.

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall