The Rockingham Report

Me in among a pack of Minis at RockinghamWow, what a day. What a day! The trackday at Rockingham this last weekend was really something special. I think I’m hooked.

So, where to start? I guess the thing that made the biggest difference from last year’s disappointment at Croft was my brakes. Last time, the car had only standard BMW equipment and the brakes went squashy after just a few laps. This time out, I’d upgraded to Mintex pads at the front, braided lines on all 4 corners, higher spec brake fluid and some prototype cooling ducts from Robertshaw Racing. Needless to say, it did the trick. There was only one point in the final session when I felt them fade a bit. That was quickly fixed by slowing down for a few corners and then I was free to hammer it again. Impressive stuff for a total outlay of around £150.

Another thing that never fails to please is when you get good feedback from those you’re with. Three things stick out in my mind:

  1. Grant’s cry of “SHIIIIT!!!” as we braked late into Rockingham’s chicane for the first time. There’s nothing quite like a frightened passenger to let you know you’re pushing on. 110mph, apparently. ;)
  2. Some old racing driver asking me whether I had an instructor in the passenger seat, because “you’re the only one I saw who’s taking the right lines”. Oh yes, see my smug grin. :)
  3. Jason, a friend from Mini2.com, telling me he couldn’t catch me and that we’d both left Paul, another Mini2er, far back in our wake. Jason even drives a Cooper S tweaked for over 200bhp (compared to my 161bhp), so I was well chuffed to stay ahead.

Actually, I’d better not gloat too much on that last one. Quite apart from it being somewhat unsavoury, Paul’s now booked for tuition, so he’ll whip my ass next time out. But that’s ok — I like a challenge. ;)

Other random memories of the event that I can’t be bothered to weave into a story:

  • So many fantastic cars to ogle! A hardcore Porsche GT3RS, a GT2, 3 or 4 near-identical Evos, 6 Noble GTOs, a pair of TVR T350Cs, 3 or 4 mad racing Beetles (old style), and much, much more.
  • So many affordable cars to lap! ;) Actually, one of the most amazing sights of the day came from following a Mk2 Golf GTi being pushed right to the limit. It spent so much time on 3 wheels, you’d think its suspension was broken!
  • Spinning idiots. Yes, there were a few of them, although none was in a Mini. One Peugeot in particular was being driven by a complete arse. He even managed to spin into a gravel trap on the slow familiarisation laps behind a pace car.
  • Slow idiots. Overtaking on the day was by consent only. The driver in front had to indicate to the right and pull over, with the faster car passing on the left. Sadly, some drivers didn’t know how to use their indicators, so you’d spend ages behind them getting frustrated before breaking the rules and just passing anyway.
  • The near miss. Although I got through the day unscathed (and uninsured), I nearly messed it all up. Trying to make my presence felt behind one of the aforementioned slow idiots, I put my foot down a little early on the exit of one left-hander. The car understeered towards the outside and, on lifting off, the back end started coming round, putting a rear wheel in the dirt and twitching the car badly before it regained its composure. Phew, close one.
  • Blind faith. Part of the circuit we drove followed the banked oval around Rockingham’s turn 4. When you’re doing 95mph, it’s a surprisingly tight curve and you’re very aware of the concrete wall on the outside. When you’re doing 95mph and the low sun’s blinding you and the track’s still wet and slippy, it’s a case of praying to God that you’ll come out the other side in one piece. And so we did, lap after lap. What a rush.

Overall, I’m wondering whether Saturday was the most enjoyable day’s driving in my life. The only competition it has is a drive over the Pennines in the Puma and I’m starting to think even that’s been eclipsed. With the latest kit on the Mini, it has finally, and decisively, risen above the sleek Ford in the kick-ass stakes. Long may it reign.

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall