Candidate: Honda S2000

Today, I shall mostly be writing about: the Honda S2000

Of all the cars I’m considering, this is the one I’ve come closest to owning in the past. Earlier this year, I extracted a wedge of cash from the bank and headed off to the Scottish border to do a part-ex. Problem is, it wasn’t in as good condition as it looked in the advert. It was a bit shabby inside and had well-rusted engine mounts and rust creeping into the bodywork. Add in the excessive wind noise from the hood (way worse than any other cabrio I’ve been in) and it was enough to make me back out. Not sure whether that’s endemic to S2000’s, mind. Guess I need more test drives.

Still, I did get to drive the car, and at a pace that let me learn a bit about it. Engine and handling-wise, it was sound. The engine felt strong, the steering was nicely weighted and the brakes nice and progressive. Also high on the list of positives was the car’s appearance (provided you ignored the rust). Although trumped by the 350Z, the S2000 is nonetheless a great-looking car. I especially like the ridiculous length of the bonnet. “Yeah, baby... check out the size of my engine.”

And now to the expected downsides: practicality and fuel economy. At least the price of 2nd hand S2000s is low enough that I could afford a second car. And I would need that second car for both B&Q trips and day-to-day fuel economy. The Honda’s mpg is worse than the Mini’s. That said, it’s better than the otherwise comparable 350Z.

  • Straight-line speed: 7 out of 10
  • Chuckability: 7 out of 10 (predicted)
  • Kerb appeal: 8 out of 10
  • Economy: 4 out of 10 – 28mpg on the combined cycle
  • Practicality: 3 out of 10

Right, what’s left? BMW M3? Boxster S? Impreza? Evo? I think I’ll dismiss those last two. They’ll have been well and truly hammered by the time they drop down into my price range. The Boxster, however, has a good chance of having a relatively sensible owner and the M3 is just plain enticing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall