My Lamborghini Thrill

Things to do in 2007: drive a Lamborghini Gallardo... tick!

However, that’s it really. Driven. Not raced. Not thrashed. Just driven. To be fair, it’s no more than I was expecting when I coughed up £99 for Everyman’s “Lamborghini Thrill”. I’d hoped I would be able to push it, but I really didn’t expect it. So, if you’re a trackday regular who pines for the chance to drive a supercar on track, here are a few things you might like to know about the Everyman experience:

  • You’ll be told what speed you have to take the corners e.g. 30mph in the chicane
  • You’ll be told what gear to be in; generally a gear higher than you would choose yourself
  • You’ll use barely half of the available rev range
  • You’ll be told to brake very early and gently; no chance to go in hard on the brakes
  • If you’re taller than 5’ 10”, you’ll not be comfortable. I had to shuffle my bum forward and lean right back to fit my head in.

Oh, and you’ll only have 4 laps: an out-lap; 2 flying laps; and an in-lap. And that really is it. Seriously.

Despite these restrictions, I left the venue with a healthy respect for what Everyman are doing. It might not be my idea of track driving, but I’m simply not their target market. I understand that and accept it. For most of their customers, the experience of merely driving such a car is enough to put a smile on their face. Hell, even I smiled. I just wasn’t delirious.

On the up-side, the instructor was great. Rather than bollocking me for driving too aggressively — I purposely braked harder than he wanted into the first corner to illustrate I knew the marked braking points were ridiculously cautious — he gently requested I even out my braking and asked whether I’d done this before. When I told him I’d done a few track days, he seemed surprised I would bother with the Lambo experience. Almost apologetically, he suggested that “This must be really tame for you, then?” True enough.

Over the following precious minutes, he encouraged me to push harder, but insisted that I take it easy on the brakes. Apparently, the brake pads were standard road pads. From bitter experience, I know this means they need sympathy and a gentle touch if they aren’t to overheat on track. Bummer. At least the instructor seemed to empathise. Anyway, not wanting to ruin others’ experiences, my laps ended up more like dressage than the Grand National (ooh, how topical!).

All in all, I’m still glad I splashed out. If you don’t try things like this, you’ll spend the whole of your life wondering. I’m tired of doing that. So, what’s next on the 2007 checklist? Arrange an ARDS test for my National B Race Licence. Bring it on. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall