What next?

Shopping trolley + weekend fun = £12k. Solve for x.

Now that I’m getting a place with a garage and a driveway, I can seriously think about owning 2 cars and not worry about where I would keep them. As I’d like to reduce my carbon footprint, one car has to be a fuel-efficient shopping trolley for commuting and... well, shopping. The other would provide the fun. I reckon I’ve got a budget of the Mini plus £2.5k, making a total of £12k. The question is, where do I spend the money?

Here are a few options I’m considering:

Option 1 would be to go for an ultra-cheap banger and couple it with an aging S2000, VX220, Elise, or similar. On the up-side, I would get to own a proper RWD sports car. The fun car would even be practical enough to use day to day, should I need to. On the downside, the fun car would be getting into the high-maintenance phase of its life and there’s a good chance the banger would give me a load of grief too.

Option 2 would be some kind of Caterfield for around the £5-6k mark, plus either something utterly reliable and average (Focus? Golf? Diesel?) for the same sort of money. Or I could maintain my style-conscious motoring theme and go for something über-funky like an imported Nissan Cube for the commuting option. I have to admit, that option really appeals to me. I’m just not sure the Caterfield would see enough use to justify it, especially during winter.

Option 3 would be to get a fairly old, well-maintained classic like an E30 3-series BMW for under £2k and kit it out purely for track work, coupling it with a luke-warm diesel for the day-to-day. Actually, knowing my impatience and lack of mechanical knowledge, I’d probably be better off buying an E30 that’s already track-prepared. They’re not even that much more expensive and someone else would’ve already had all the hassle getting it sorted.

I’m sure there are plenty more combinations out there than this. I’ve even considered getting a sub-£1k van as the run-around. It would be cheap to buy, cheap to run, and have plenty of practicality (except in the passenger department). I don’t know. I bet it’ll still take me ages to decide anyway. And the key to it all is selling the Mini — something I’ve got a really bad track record on! Place your bets...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall