Lewis Hamilton: man or machine

Lewis Hamilton: the next Michael Schumacher. Discuss.

You might think I’m talking about his talent, but it’s more than that. I’ve yet to see anything from the lad to suggest that he’s anything more than a machine. A personality-free zone. Granted, he’s being kept away from the press to a large extent, but whenever you do see him interviewed, there’s so little humanity there. You get the feeling he never really had a chance to grow up properly and, as a result, all the interaction he knows is polite media talk. There is no Lewis Hamilton.

Okay, that might be a little harsh, but honestly, I feel sorry for him. Long term, I also feel sorry for the sport if this is what it takes to win. In so many ways, he appears to be the Tiger Woods of F1. Can Britain ever really take someone like that to its collective heart? I don’t know. Don’t we prefer our sporting superstars to be human? Wayne Rooney, for example. Ronnie O’Sullivan. Jenson Button, even. They’re flawed. And we love them for it. Only time will tell, but on current evidence, I can’t ever see Hamilton putting a foot ’wrong’. And if he’s the ultimate product of the F1 machine, the sport really needs to get some perspective. For now though, I’m holding my breath...

In other news, it’s Lambo time on Saturday. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall