Getting airborne

Is it possible to take off in a car safely?

From time to time, in the pages of Evo magazine, there’ll be a photo of an Impreza or Evo with daylight clearly visible under its wheels. Never more than a few inches, but the car will definitely be airborne. I used to think that only something like a rally-bred turbo nutter could take such punishment, but I was wrong. The Mini can do it too.

Last year, I surprised myself by getting all four of the Mini’s wheels off the ground near Rothbury in Northumberland. As things slowed down to bullet-time, it was both exciting and worrying. We hung there for what felt an eternity; at least compared to earlier occasions when the car had gone light. And then we landed — all four wheels at the same time and beautifully cushioned. Seriously, I’ve driven over patches of relaid tarmac that have given my suspension more grief. I was both ecstatic and deeply relieved.

Immediately afterwards, I vowed never to push my luck that far again. While the thrill was something else, it was definitely a guilty pleasure. Nagging at the back of my mind, however, was the thought that, with the right conditions, it could be repeated perfectly safely. All you need is a friend on the same stretch of road to give you the all-clear.

That said, I’m still not comfortable with the idea. Despite the fact that no-one reads this blog, I’ll throw the question out there. What do you think: harmless fun, or deeply irresponsible? I’d love to hear your thoughts...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall