Trackday season is here

Earlier today, I started to get excited for no apparent reason. It suddenly dawned on me that the trackday season is approaching. Most petrolheads reading that would think I’m nuts. Au contraire. I’m simply tight and fearless. ;-)

Yup, for me, winter is the best time of year for trackdays, not least because the costs plummet. But it’s not just the cheaper ticket prices that attract me. In winter, you’re more likely to get a damp track, making it much more of a challenge and much more fun in the process. Thanks to global warming, the UK’s winters are increasingly mild too, so the chance of getting an icy track is greatly diminished. Other benefits include:

  • Fewer cars on track (most people are shy of booking wet trackdays)
  • Reduced tyre wear (can’t corner as quickly on wet surfaces)
  • Reduced brake wear (can’t brake as aggressively on wet surfaces)
  • The car’s more powerful (thanks to the colder, denser air)

All in all, it’s the perfect time of year, especially for FWD cars that are less scary in the wet. I guess it’s time I got my car ready for it, really — or ready for upgrading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall