Candidate: Nissan 350Z

So, the VX220 ticked all of the ’fun’ boxes, but neither of the sensible-shoes boxes. How will the 350Z fare?

On the surface, the strongest card the 350Z holds is its kerb appeal. It’s subjective, but to me, the car is a work of art. Perfectly proportioned, and beautiful from every angle. Its attractiveness is not the only string to its bow, however. It’s pretty quick too, even if it is just shy of my ideal 6.0secs to 100km/h. It holds the road pretty nicely too, based on my 2 test-drives. And it’s a tin-top, which is definitely my preference; greater structural rigidity and no faffing with a leaky and/or awkard roof. Crucially, I can even get in the 350Z with a helmet on - a requirement that’s ruled out plenty of other contenders.

When it comes to practicality, however, it’s another compromise. The boot is suitable for long weekends away, but that’s about it. Just as with the VX220, you can forget about trips to B&Q. But then, I’m pretty much resigned to having another impractical car anyway. It’s just that, were I to get a 350Z, it’s unlikely there’d be any money left in the kitty for even a shed of an estate car. In that sense, the Zed’s arguably less of a practical option for shifting stuff around than even the Vauxhall.

In summary:

  • Straight-line speed: 7 out of 10
  • Chuckability: 7 out of 10
  • Kerb appeal: 9 out of 10
  • Economy: 3 out of 10 - 24mpg on the combined cycle
  • Practicality: 3 out of 10

Looking at those stats, I think the thing that bugs me most is the fuel economy. The car’s price would be at the top end of my range even before the cost of its petrol kicks in. Errr… sorry… I mean it’ll kill the planet. Yeah, that’s right - it’s all about the environment. Honest. Okay, I’m not kidding anyone, but I would at least like to get a car that’s no worse than the Mini for planet-killing. At least then I’d be able to say I’m moving in the right direction.

Next!

Comments

I think the VX220 would be your best bet, and that would leave you enough money to purchase a Renault Clio, I know a guy who has one for sale if you are interested ...
Mal said…
A Clio? Not long enough, mate... but nice try.

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall