Candidate: Vauxhall VX220

As promised, here’s the first of many cars to which I’m considering upgrading: the Vauxhall VX220. Or VX220 Turbo. I’m not fussy.

In the Vauxhall’s favour are its most obvious attributes: it’s fast and light. Although I’ve yet to drive one, I suspect I could have a lot of fun in one of these, both on the open road and on trackdays. The light weight, in particular, is a great attraction. The closer I can get to a go-kart on trackdays, the better. One other attraction that’s a little more subjective is the car’s looks. I swear, if it didn’t have a Vauxhall badge on the front, it would get far more positive reviews for its looks. ‘Razor-sharp’ is the phrase that comes to mind for me; I love it.

On the downside, the VX would cause me to be a little unnerved on trackdays, due to the fact I’d have to take the roof off. I simply can’t fit in one with a helmet on. Not only that, but with the helmet on and the roof off, my head would be the highest point on the car. While I don’t intend to flip a car, I’d really rather my head wasn’t acting as the rollover bar.

Also, rather more obviously, the car’s not exactly practical in the B&Q sense. I really don’t mind the lack of storage when getting groceries in, but the inflexibility of this car is something else. Perhaps I could get a total shed of an estate car to go with it? We’ll see.

In summary:

  • Straight-line speed: 8 out of 10 (N/A) or 9 out of 10 (turbo)
  • Chuckability: 9 out of 10 (predicted)
  • Kerb appeal: 8 out of 10
  • Economy: 5 out of 10 – 33mpg on the combined cycle.
  • Practicality: 3 out of 10

Next up, the Honda S2000. Or maybe the Elise. Or 350Z. Or Legnum VR4. Or something else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving the Tank

Windfall